Monday 19 August 2013

Shakespeare Memorial

Have you ever driven or walked past something and not ever really taken notice that it is there?
Well that is the case with the next statue I am featuring.
I have passed this statue many times but it wasn't until I participated in the public art walk that I finally took notice of what and who it was of.
It could be because of it's position in the middle of a roadway where you don't walk past it easily.

That particular piece of public art  is The Shakespeare Memorial on Shakespeare Place across from the Mitchell Library.




                                                               Romeo and Juliet    Hamlet                              
                                                                         Portia                              Falstaff
                                                                            Shakespeare


It has 5 well known Shakespearean characters around the base with a life size statue of Shakespeare at the top.

The sculptor was Sir Bertram MacKennal  and was unveiled in 1926. In future posts I will highlight another of Sir Bertram's sculptures.

In 1959 the statue was repositioned to make way for the Cahill Expressway.




2 comments:

  1. I have never managed to take a decent photo of this statue, and I didn't know who it was of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is difficult because of where it is and also it always seems to have shadows on it. Glad I could also help you out with who it is :)

      Delete