Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Morshead Fountain

The Morshead Fountain was erected in remembrance of Lieutenant-General Sir Leslie Morshead and  the men who served with him in the war of 1914-18 and in the defence of Tobruk Libya in 1941 for which he was knighted.

It is located across from the State Library of NSW at one of the entrance gates to the Royal Botanic Gardens.





 
 
The fountain was designed by architects Woodward, Taranto and Wallace. A new fountain head was installed in 1983.
It was unveiled by Lady Morshead in 1966.
Unfortunately the day I photographed the fountain the water wasn't flowing while I was there.

6 comments:

  1. Its a nice fountain. Bad luck there was no water. You'll have to go back. Hope your uploading glitch is fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is on my to do list Dianne. The glitch is still not fixed so looks like it might be a long process unfortunately. Thinking of getting a computer geek to have a look if my husband can't do it over the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Always feel guilty if I tread on it. It seems often off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what you mean Peter. I feel the same way.

      Delete